Northern Beaches Council has provided the following details regarding actions on East Esplanade.
Below is a summary report on the activities at East Esplanade over the weekend 6 & 7th Feb 2021 for your information and consideration on next steps.
- A large police presence was in attendance at East Esplanade
- Council Rangers did their usual patrols of 2pm, 4pm, 7pm, 8pm & 10pm.
- Council engaged 2 private security guards for Friday, Saturday & Sunday
- Mobile CCTV was installed at the corner of East Esplanade and Victoria Street
- Crowds were down and the weather was patchy with rain on Saturday
- VMS sign message advised people of the Council toilets
Council Rangers reported estimated crowd numbers as;
- Friday 7pm (50), 8pm (49), 10pm (2), Police not called
- Saturday 7pm (400), 8pm (17), 10pm (0), Police present
- Sunday 7pm (300), 8pm (250), 10pm (0), Police called
Please note the numbers in the brackets are the number of people the Rangers estimated that they spoke with. A (0) does not mean that no people were at Esplanade.
Security Guards report
- Residents pleased with the security guards presence (8)
- Public questioning why the security guards were there (3)
- Attempted urination and directed to toilets (8)
- Complaint about CCTV (1)
- On 2 occasions groups exited Ubers and attempted to urinate on walls
The cost of the security guards for the 3 days was $2,629 ex GST.
Your advice on continuing with the security guards and CCTV this weekend would be appreciated.